- Meet the age requirements (Be a boy 11 years of age, or has completed the fifth grade, or has earned the arrow of light and is at least 10 years old, but not yet 18 years old)
- Find a scout Troop near your home
- Complete a Boy Scout application and health history signed by your parent or guardian.
- Demonstrate the scout sign, salute, and handshake.
- Demonstrate tying the square knot.
- Understand and agree to live by the Scout Oath, Scout Law, motto, slogan, and the Outdoor Code.
- Describe the Scout badge.
- Participate in a Scoutmaster Conference.